Breast Implant Revision
Breast implant revision is a cosmetic surgery procedure in which Dr. Berman removes one or both implants in his accredited Boca Raton plastic surgery operating room. Dr. Berman has performed this procedure numerous times for patients who want to revise their implants, which can be motivated by the following:
- A desire to change sizes. Most women go “up” in size, but some decide to remove larger implants and replace with smaller ones.
- Capsular Contracture: When the pocket around a breast implant becomes hardened the implant must be removed and replaced.
- Rippling: In some patients, particularly thin women, rippling of the implant is visible on the outside of the breast.
- A change in implant style, as from saline to gel-filled or form-stable (AKA Gummy Bear implants).
- A desire to replace older implants. Although breast implants often last over 20 years, they are not “permanent” devices and can require switching out to maintain their viability.
- Leakage in a saline implant.
- Dissatisfaction with the results of a previous breast augmentation procedure.
- A desire to eliminate implants altogether.
Dr. Berman frequently evaluates patients sent from other physicians to evaluate unsatisfactory results following breast augmentation, breast reconstruction, breast reduction or breast lift. The best candidates are women who are in good health and who understand the potential limitations of breast revision surgery, in which Dr. Berman must make adjustments in the presence of scar tissue, which carries the potential to inhibit the level of change he is able to create. Nevertheless, Dr. Berman’s Boca Raton breast implant revision patients are highly satisfied with their outcome.
Breast revision surgery is performed under general anesthesia in our accredited surgical suite in Dr. Berman’s Boca Raton plastic surgery office under general anesthesia, and you will go home the same day. Depending upon your reason for breast implant revision surgery, Dr. Berman may take anywhere from 1-3 hours to perform your procedure. The incisions will be placed in the same area of previous incisions, unless you have had your original implants inserted under the armpit. The armpit incision, called a transaxillary incision, is an inconspicuous incision that pleases many women, but cannot be used in future implant procedures.
The implants are then carefully removed and replaced, with adjustments that may include a breast lift, and then closed with sutures. A compression garment is placed and you will recover in our recovery area, going home about 2 hours after your procedure is completed.
The recovery time from breast implant revision surgery is usually fairly rapid. As with the initial procedure, you will have some bruising and swelling that is usually remedied with ice packs and over-the-counter medication such as Tylenol. Most of our Boca Raton breast implant revision patients feel back to normal in 7-10 days. As with the initial procedure, you will notice results over time once the initial swelling has decreased.
The first step to accomplish any cosmetic surgery procedure is to request a consultation with Dr. Berman, serving Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Wellington and Delray Beach, although some of our breast enhancement patients come from Miami and other areas of South Florida. During your consultation, Dr. Berman will provide a complete examination of your area(s) of concern and share his professional opinion as to the procedure(s) that will give you the best results. There is never any pressure to choose surgery, and you may schedule a second consultation with a trusted friend or relative if you so choose. The small consultation fee is applied toward any surgical procedure you choose. Call us to schedule your appointment at 305-417-0171 or complete this request a consultation form online.