What’s the Difference Between Breast Augmentation and Breast Implants?
Looking and feeling good about yourself is an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. For some women, the motivation for pursuing plastic surgery may be to raise self-esteem, regain a pre-pregnancy body, or appear more youthful. If you’re considering breast augmentation and breast implants, you’re not alone – breast surgeries are some of the most popular plastic surgery procedures performed each year. It’s important to be informed in order to make the right decision for you and your body, so here’s what to expect from breast augmentation with implants at our Boca Raton practice.
Breast augmentation is a plastic surgery procedure that enhances the size and projection of the breasts. Although breast enhancement is most popularly achieved through breast implants, other options like fat transfer breast augmentation (or natural breast augmentation) are also popular.
Breast implants are prosthetic devices inserted into the breast to increase its size. They are usually made with a medical-grade silicone shell and can be filled with different materials like silicone gel or sterile saline. Breast implants come in many different sizes (measured in cubic centimeters), shapes, and textures.
The three popular types of breast implants are:
- Silicone: Silicone implants are filled with silicone gel. This is traditionally the most popular type of breast implant for its look, natural feeling, and softness.
- Saline: Patients who prefer natural implants or cannot have silicone implants usually choose saline implants. They are a silicone shell filled with sterile salt water.
- Gummy Bear: Gummy implants are a new type of silicone-filled implant made with a thicker, form-stable material. This means it holds its shape when cut into, similar to a gummy bear.
You’ll often see these two terms used interchangeably – in most cases, though, they refer to the same thing. Breast augmentation is the procedure that involves inserting breast implants into the breasts. However, breast augmentation does not always involve breast implants.
There are many different benefits to breast augmentation. These include:
- Convenience: Breast augmentation with implants is performed on an outpatient basis, so you can return home for recovery after your procedure.
- Enhanced curves and volume: Women who receive breast implants report feeling more voluptuous and feminine as a result of breast augmentation, making it the most popular plastic surgery procedure performed each year.
- Increased symmetry: For women who are bothered by noticeable asymmetry, breast augmentation can provide a customized solution.
- Reduced sagging: Breast implants can restore breast volume and restore your youthful figure, especially when paired with a breast lift.
- Customizability: If you want to increase the size of your breasts or add volume, breast implant surgery can help. Together with your plastic surgeon, you can choose from a variety of implant types, placements, incisions, and surgical techniques.
The best way to learn more about breast augmentation and how you can benefit is by meeting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in leading breast augmentation techniques. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Berman, contact our office by calling or filling out our online form.
Dr. Jonathan Ross Berman is a Boca Raton plastic surgeon who has been certified by both the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery with over 30 years of service experience specializing in Breast Augmentation, Rhinoplasty, Face Lift, Liposuction, and many other types of plastic surgery in Boca Raton, FL.