When facelifts were done in the 50s, 60s and even 70s, they were quite obvious. Muscles and tissues were pulled backwards, and the skin draped tightly over the facial structure. Take a look at the before/after on the left. Yes, it’s a famous movie star; someone with the wherewithal to hire only the finest facial plastic surgeon but he apparently failed to do so. Notice how tight the skin appears, how flat the cheeks look. At our Boca Raton plastic surgery practice, we call that “your mother’s facelift” because that’s the way facelifts used to look. Well, no longer. Today’s facelift Boca Raton procedure is softer and fuller, due to a change in the procedure itself.
Characteristics of a Poor Facelift
- A pulled, tight appearance
- Too much cheek augmentation with either fat, dermal fillers or liquid silicone (which is also dangerous!)
- Over-stuffed lips
- An unnaturally high appearance beneath the eyes
- The tragus (little tag on the front of the ear) is missing
- The earlobe is attached to the side of the face
- Distortion of the hairline due to scarring
Characteristics of a Great Facelift
- A full, somewhat plumped appearance that is not overdone
- A youthful, lifted cheek
- Absence of the deepest wrinkles and furrows
- The patient looks rested and refreshed, but not unlike him/herself
- The tragus of the ear is still present
- The earlobe appears as it did prior to the procedure
- Scars are hidden behind the ear and in the hairline with no distortion
- Fatty deposits and loose skin are removed to eliminate facial sagging, particularly in the neck and jawline
A Great Facelift Requires the Following
- Good skin quality. Even the best facelift cannot correct skin that is rough or sun-damaged. Even those with poor skin quality will look better, but the best results occur with the best skin. We recommend a course of skin treatments including physician-only skincare products, to get your skin in good shape prior to your facelift procedure.
- A surgeon who has done hundreds of facelift procedures and who has expertise in facial surgery, not just general plastic surgery. Boca plastic surgeon Dr. Jonathan Berman is board certified both in plastic surgery and in otolaryngology/face and neck surgery. He has performed hundreds, if not thousands, of facelifts in his nearly 25-year history.
- No smoking. Cigarette smoke interferes with healing. If you smoke, you must quit two weeks prior and not smoke for at least 4 weeks afterwards.
A great facelift won’t make you look like you had surgery! It will make you look refreshed and well rested. Contact us today at 561-417-0171 or complete our discreet online consultation request form to schedule your facelift consultation in Boca Raton today!